This zucchini eggplant lasagna makes use of fresh summer produce in a filling meatless that caters to our herbivores and gluten-free palates. Ideal for dinner at home with your fit squad or you can even cut a sliver for the kids.
PREPERATION TIME: 10 Minutes
COOKING TIME: 20 Minutes
• 1 large eggplant, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
• 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
• 2 teaspoons olive oil
• 3/4 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium onion)
• 3 garlic cloves, chopped
• 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
• 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
• 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
• 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
• 1 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
• 1 cup (8 ounces) part-skim ricotta cheese
• Cooking spray
• 1 (8-ounce) package precooked lasagna noodles
• 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
• 2 1/2 cups (10 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Arrange eggplant slices in a single layer on several layers of paper towels. Sprinkle evenly with 1/2 teaspoon salt; let stand 15 minutes.
3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic to pan; sauté 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, oregano, red pepper, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Combine basil, ricotta, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon black pepper in a small bowl. Spread 1/2 cup tomato mixture into the bottom of a 13 x 9–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 4 noodles over tomato mixture; top with half of eggplant and half of zucchini. Spread ricotta mixture over vegetables; cover with 4 noodles. Spread 1 cup tomato mixture over noodles; layer with remaining eggplant and zucchini slices. Arrange remaining 4 noodles over vegetables, and spread remaining tomato mixture over noodles. Top evenly with mozzarella. Cover with foil coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 25 minutes or until browned. Cool for 5 minutes.
Amount per serving
Calories from fat 32 %
Fat 7.7 g
Satfat 4.2 g
Monofat 2 g
Polyfaat 0.4 g
Protein 12.7 g
Carbohydrate 25.7 g
Fiber 4.2 g
Cholesterol 21 mg
Iron 1.3 mg
Sodium 393 mg
Calcium 247 mg