60 gms Red onion, chopped
100 gms Green bell pepper, chopped
100 gms Red bell pepper, chopped
100 gms Yellow bell pepper chopped
120 gms 1 medium sweet potato (peeled and cut into 1⁄2-inch pieces)
6 gms Minced garlic
6 gms Chili powder
5 gms Ground cumin
8 gms Unsweetened cocoa powder
3 gms Ground cinnamon
Ground sea salt and black pepper
400 gms Chopped and peeled tomatoes
150 gms Black beans, rinsed and drained
150 gms kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup Vegetable broth
20 ml Sour cream
20 gms Shredded cheese
10 gms Chopped fresh cilantro
Total calories: (For 4 servings) Energy- 607.5 kcals, Carbs- 126 gms, Prot- 35.8 gms, Fat- 13.5 gms
(For 1 serving) Energy- 151.8 kcals, Carbs- 31.5 gms, Prot- 8.9 gms, Fat- 3.3 gms
• In a stockpot, sauté the chopped vegetables in one to two tablespoon of heat-safe oil (like grapeseed or coconut) on medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
• Once the onions start turning translucent, reduce heat to medium-low.
• Add all of the spices and cooked beans and tomatoes ingredients, and stir. Cover and let it simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 40 minutes.
• Ladle into bowls and add garnishes.
• Serve with brown rice.
1. High in vitamin B6: Vitamin B6 helps reduce the chemical homocysteine in our bodies, which is linked to degenerative diseases, including heart attacks.
2. Good source of vitamin C: It helps to ward off colds and flu viruses. Vitamin C is also important for bone and tooth formation, digestion and blood cell formation. It helps accelerate wound healing, produces collagen, which helps maintain the skin’s youthful elasticity, and is essential for coping with stress. It also helps protect our body against toxins that may be linked to cancer.
3. Contains Vitamin D: This is crucial for the immune system and overall health. Vitamin D supports the thyroid gland and plays an important role in our energy levels, moods and helps build healthy bones, heart, nerves, skin and teeth.
4. Sweet potatoes contain iron: Iron is important in the body to have adequate energy. Iron also plays other important roles in our body such as red and white blood cell production, resistance to stress, proper immune functioning and the metabolizing of protein.
5. Good source of magnesium: Is necessary for healthy arteries, blood, bone, heart, muscle and nerve functions.
6. Excellent source of potassium: Potassium is an important electrolyte, which helps to regulate heartbeats and nerve signals.
Sweet potatoes are naturally sweet-tasting and their natural sugars are slowly released into the bloodstream, which helps to ensure a balanced and regular source of energy, without causing a spike in blood sugar levels and weight gain.