Cooking time: 50mins
2/3 cup (130gms) brown basmati rice
1 1/3 cups water
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
454 grams 93%-lean ground turkey
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
2 tablespoons red chilli powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or 3 garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 green chilli
172 grams cooked black beans
1/2 cup guacamole (optional)
1/2 cup (120 ml) reduced-fat sour cream
12 large lettuce leaves (from 2 heads)
1. Bring the rice and water to a boil in a small saucepan.
2. Reduce the heat to maintain a low simmer, cover and cook until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed, 30 to 40 minutes.
3. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
4. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the turkey, onion, red bell pepper, red chilli powder, cumin, garlic powder or cloves, green chilli, salt.
5. Cook the mixture, stirring occasionally, until the turkey is cooked through, in about 5 to 8 minutes.
6. Add black beans and cook until they are properly cooked, in about 2 minutes.
7. When serving, add the mixture of turkey and black beans on a lettuce leaf. Make several leaves filled with the mixture.
8. Add 1 to 2 tsp of guacamole (optional) and reduced fat sour cream when serving on a lettuce leaf.
Nutritional value: Per serving-
Energy- 492 calories
Carbohydrates- 42 gms
Protein- 31 gms
Fat- 24 gms
Total sugars – 5 gms
Fibre- 9 gms
Sodium- 590 mg
Potassium- 922 mg
High in potassium
High in fibre
Low in cholesterol.