Serves- 4 people
Time to cook recipe- 40 mins
3 ½ teaspoons red chilli flakes or red chilli powder
3 ½ teaspoons cumin powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder or 3 to 4 crushed garlic cloves
1 teaspoon pepper powder
¾ teaspoon salt or add as required
5 tablespoons lemon juice
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
392 grams of extra-firm tofu (drained)
420 grams of chickpeas (rinsed)
1 large bunch of kale or baby kale (approx. 100-150 grams, without inedible stems)
1 medium yellow bell pepper (approx. 25-30 grams), cut into 2-inch strips
½ dark green cucumber, halved and sliced
• Preheat the oven to gas mark 8, 232 degree Celsius. Coat a large baking dish with some oil.
• Combine red chilli powder, cumin powder, garlic cloves or garlic powder, pepper and salt in a large bowl. Measure out 2 ½ teaspoons and set aside.
• Add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the remaining spice mixture.
• Cut tofu into cubes and pat dry. Add the tofu and chickpeas to the spice mixture in a large bowl and stir to combine; set aside for 10 minutes.
• Spread the tofu and chickpeas on the baking dish in a single layer. Roast for about 20 minute’s total, until lightly brown.
• Now combine the remaining 2 ½ teaspoons spice mixture to the large bowl and whisk in the remaining 3 tablespoons of lemon juice and olive oil each.
• Add kale, bell pepper and cucumber and toss to combine.
• Serve the salad topped with the roasted tofu and chickpeas.
Nutrition values per serving
Energy- 443 calories
Fats- 22 grams fat (3 grams saturated fats, 12 grams monosaturated fats); 0 mg cholesterol
Carbohydrates- 48 grams
Protein- 24 grams
Fibre- 11 grams
Sodium- 699 mgs
Potassium- 1657 mgs
Recipe specialty: High in fibre, low saturated fat, low in cholesterol, high in potassium, calcium, heart-friendly and gluten free.