If fitness could play Benjamin Button it’s character would look a lot like Suniel Shetty. Defying age and manifesting the true meaning of well being, stands tall, a man with a body at it’s peak of greatness. As the host of India’s Asli Champion, you’d think he would give the winner a run for his money, if not perform better.
We were curious as to how this transformation came about and we asked a little bird to look into it, so we can spread the word and rest in comfort knowing being fifty five doesn’t have to mean looking like a shriveled up prune.
Suniel is a no shortcuts type of guy, his approach to holistic health and wellness trickles into a day long of good habits and efforts. His day starts early, where he eats breakfast like a king, does yoga for an hour and hits the gym post. His training regime aims at building muscular endurance which also results in hypertrophy; which is lighter weights, more reps. He believes the real workout is only after the 20th rep.
But what he really believed was life changing was his yoga routine; his morning pranayam, has allowed him to be more flexible and give him more energy which explains fitness to be more than a real life G.I joe, it is mental preparedness, a full energy bank and happiness.
His diet shows discipline; which as we regularly say, it’s the harder part of health and wellness. He eats well in the morning, and is light in the evening; all, while sticking to lean meat and fish. He cheats on Saturday further ensuing the common practice that many people follow; don’t inhibit your cravings; be good 9 out of 10 times, and the one day you cheat- it will feel worth it.
His word to the young is to not wait till fifty just because it’s possible, being seemingly harder; starting off young, engaging in sports and any training methods that suit you will leave you a lot happier.
We put together a diet inspired by the real Champion of India’s Asli Champion, follow for maximum gains:
- Morning- Black Coffee / Green Tea, egg whites, fruit
- Lunch- Brown/red rice, dal, veggies, raita
- Snack- Pop corn, makhana, nuts
- Dinner- Spinach, Roasted Chicken/ Steamed Fish or Chickpeas, veggies and dal
Monday- Back, Biceps
- Wide-grip pull down- 20 reps & Straight bar curl- 20 reps (3 rounds)
- Lat pull down- 12 reps & Alternating dumbbell curl- 20 reps (3 rounds)
- Straight leg deadlift- 10 reps & Preacher curl- 10 reps (3 rounds)
Tuesday- Run/Yoga/Any Sport
- Barbell Squat-20 reps & Bulgarian Split Squat-20 reps (3 rounds)
- Romanian deadlift- 12 reps & Single Leg Swiss Ball Curl-12 reps (3 rounds)
- Weighted Traveling Lunge-10 reps each leg & Plyo Step up-10 reps each leg (3 rounds)
Thursday- Swim/Tennis or sport
- 1/4 Dumbbell Press-20 reps & Incline Squeeze Press-20 reps (3 rounds)
- Hammer Strength Chest Press- 30 reps, 20 reps, 15 reps
- Lean Away Lateral Raise- 12 reps & Single Arm Dumbbell Lateral Raise-12 reps (3 rounds)
- Machine Shoulder Press-10 reps & Rope Shoulder Pulldown-10 reps (2 rounds)
- Rope Tricep Pulldown-30 reps, 20 reps, 15 reps