Serving: 5 slices of bread
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 5 mins + 15 mins baking time
5 slices of whole wheat bread
For the spinach topping:
1 cup shredded spinach (palak)
1/3 tbsp low-fat butter
½ onion finely chopped
2/3 tsp finely chopped green chillies
A pinch of soda bi-carb
1/3 tbsp corn-flour dissolved in 3/4 cup low-fat milk
2 ½ tsp grated low fat cheese
Tobasco sauce (add as required)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the butter in a non-stick pan; add the onions and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
2. Add the spinach and soda bi-carb and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
3. Add the cornflour-milk mixture and salt and pepper, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes or until it is thick in consistency, while stirring continuously.
4. Allow it to cool and divide the mixture into equal portions and set aside.
5. Next, spread one portion of the prepared topping on each toasted bread, sprinkle 1 tsp of cheese on the top and bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 8 to 10 minutes or till crisp.
6. Cut each bread slice diagonally into 2 or 4 pieces and serve immediately.
Nutritional value (per slice)
Energy- 26 kcals
Carbohydrates- 3.9 gms
Protein- 1.1 gms
Fat- 0.4 gms
Fibre- 1 gms
Calcium- 20.7 gms
-Quick and healthy recipe.
-Great as a snack or in breakfast.
-Rich in calcium.
-Low in calories and fat.
– Heart friendly and diabetic friendly recipe.
-You can accompany this recipe with a healthy apple and tomato juice in the morning for breakfast.