Double brownie points for your gut, with this low carb-high protein recipe that meat lovers will love. Also, mushrooms are proof that carnivores don’t only eat meat.
|Serving Size: 2 caps|
|Prep Time- 5 Minutes|
|Cook Time- 20 Minutes|
Let’s get into this, here’s what you need;
For the garlic butter:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
- 5-6 large Portobello Mushrooms, stem removed, washed and dried with a paper towel
- 5-6 fresh mozzarella cheese balls, sliced thinly
- 1 cup grape (or cherry) tomatoes, sliced thinly
- fresh basil, shredded to garnish
Balsamic Glaze: (if you don’t want to use store bought)
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar (OPTIONAL)
Now that you have your chef’s hat on…
- Preheat oven to grill/broil settings on high heat. Arrange oven shelf to the middle of your oven.
- Combine all of the Garlic Butter ingredients together in a small saucepan (or microwave safe bowl), and melt until garlic is fragrant. Brush the bottoms of each mushroom and place them, buttered side down, on a baking tray.
- Flip and brush any remaining garlic over the insides of each cap. Fill each mushroom with the mozzarella slices and tomatoes, and grill/broil until cheese has melted and golden in colour (about 8 minutes).
- To serve, top with the basil, drizzle with the balsamic glaze and sprinkle with salt to taste.
For the Balsamic Glaze:
- (If making from scratch, prepare while mushrooms are in the oven.) Combine sugar (if using) and vinegar in a small saucepan over high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low; allow to simmer for 5-8 minutes or until mixture has thickened and reduced to a glaze. (If not using sugar, allow to reduce for 12-15 minutes on low heat).
Makes for a delicious appetizer, don’t forget to make more for the squad. Oh and you know you must take a picture for the gram’. (Don’t forget to tag us!}