Preparation Time- 10 mins
Cooking Time- 6 mins
Serves – 4
1 cup broccoli florets
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp finely chopped garlic
1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
2 tbsp finely chopped celery
1/2 cup thinly sliced onions
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
• Heat the olive oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the onions, garlic, carrots and celery and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
• Add the broccoli, salt and 2½ cups of hot water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
• Add the pepper and mix well.
• Serve hot.
Nutritional value for 1 serving-
Energy- 27 calories
Protein- 0.7 gm
Carbohydrate- 3.3 gm
Fat- 1.3 gm
Vitamin C- 13.4 mg
Iron- 0.6 mg
Fibre- 1.0 gm
• A 100 gram serving of broccoli will provide you with more than 150% of your recommended daily intake of vitamin C, which in large doses can potentially shorten the duration of the common cold.
• Broccoli is also rich in vitamin A, iron, vitamin K, B-complex vitamins, zinc, phosphorus and phyto-nutrients.
• Phytonutrients are compounds which lower the risk of developing diabetes, heart disease and certain cancers, according to the USDA.
• Rich in vitamin C and antioxidants make this soup a healthy and a low cholesterol heart friendly recipe.
• Helps to increase immunity and combat the cold and flu, with the flavourful ingredients of this soup.