¼ cup bajra (black millet), soaked for about 7 to 8hrs and drained
¼ cup moong dal (split green gram), washed and drained
½ green chilli
1-2 curry leaves
1 tablespoon ghee
½ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1/8 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
¼ tsp asafoetida (hing)
Salt to taste
• Heat the ghee in a pressure cooker, add the cumin seeds, green chilli, and curry leaves. Let it cook for a bit and then add the onions.
• Sauté the onions until they become translucent.
• Add the tomato, and the remaining spices (turmeric powder and asafoetida).
• Add the soaked and drained bajra and moong dal in the pressure cooker, along with two cups of water.
• Add salt to taste, mix the contents properly, so that the salt gets into the mixture and close the lid of the pressure cooker.
• Pressure cook the contents for four whistles.
• Let it cool for a while, let out the steam, open to check if the bajra khichdi is cooked.
• Garnish with coriander leaves.
• Serve hot with low fat yogurt or vegetable raita made with low fat yogurt.
Total calories (for 1 serving): Energy – 450kcals
* Picture credits Freeimages