Serving size: 8 Bars
Prep time: 30mins
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/4 cup almonds (vertical thinly sliced almonds)
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1 tablespoon flaxseeds, preferably golden
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 cup unsweetened whole-grain puffed cereal (or you can use any cereal you prefer)
1/3 cup chopped dried apricots
1/3 cup chopped raisins (black or brown)
1/4 cup creamy almond butter (see Note)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey (you can choose between sugar and honey)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt (to taste)
• Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch-square pan with oil.
• Spread oats, almonds, sunflower seeds, flaxseeds and sesame seeds on a large, rimmed baking sheet. Bake until the oats are lightly toasted and the nuts are fragrant, shaking the pan halfway through, about 10 minutes. This can be done on the gas in a large pan as well.
• Transfer to a large bowl. Add the cereal, apricots and raisins; toss it all to combine.
• Add the almond butter, sugar, honey, vanilla and salt in a small saucepan. Heat over medium-low, stirring frequently, until the mixture bubbles lightly, 2 to 5 minutes.
• Immediately pour the almond butter mixture over the dry ingredients and mix with a spoon or spatula until no dry spots remain.
• Transfer to the prepared pan. Lightly coat your hands with oil or butter and press the mixture down firmly to make an even layer (wait until the mixture cools slightly if necessary).
• Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes and then cut into 8 bars.
Nutritional value per serving:
Energy- 244 calories
Carbohydrates- 38 grams
Proteins- 5 grams
Fat- 10 g rams
Cholesterol- 0 mg
Fiber- 3 grams
Sodium- 74 mg
Potassium- 313 mg
• Great for breakfast on the go! Contains a good amount of roasted nuts, seeds and oats.
• The bars can be stored at room temperature, but will be softer than those that have been refrigerated.
• Store in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 1 month; thaw at room temperature.