Our moms, aunts and grandmas seem to think Kichdi can solve anything- from colds, diarrhea, fever, global warming, poverty, demonitization; maybe it worked for some of the above.
But lo and behold, maybe it was the comfort of family, not wanting to upset them, or memories, and in a lot of cases, things that make you feel happy will make you feel physically better. But there’s nothing worse than laying in your bed in fetal position because your stomach hurts, or worse, running to the restroom because everything is too heaty but you still have an appetite.
A bad gut is like smiling and nodding through the most boring conversation; you know it’s not forever but you rather cut your vocal chords out than continue talking…
Eating light, and eating the right light food will make you feel better while the bacteria or bug exits your body. Ordering in is not a wise decision, but if you have (extreme emphasis) to go out, try incorporating cool ingredients in your meal and stay away from the fermented grape juice.
Chilled Cucumber Soup- Helps with bloat
- 1 1/2 pound English cucumbers, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chopped mint
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 1/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- In a blender container combine cucumber, mint, chives and garlic. Puree until smooth.
- Pour cucumber mixture into a large bowl and whisk in remaining ingredients. Chill in refrigerator for 2 hours to 4 hours.
Carrot, Beet and Ginger Salad- Get’s you moving again!
- 5 tablespoons freshly grated ginger (reserve any juice that accumulates while grating)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- Zest and juice of 2 small lemons
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh mint
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 pound carrots
- 1 pound beets
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- In a large bowl, whisk together ginger (and accumulated juice), vinegar, lemon zest and juice, onion, cumin, cilantro, mint, salt and pepper. Whisking constantly, drizzle in vegetable oil.
- Place shredding attachment in a food processor. Peel carrots and beets and shred. (If you don’t have a food processor, shred vegetables with a box grater.)
- Add carrots and beets to bowl with dressing and toss well. Sprinkle with scallions and cool down.
Green Smoothie- It’s like pressing the refresh button on your intestine!
- 1½ cups spinach
- ½ grapefruit, peeled, white pith removed
- 2 green apples, cut into eighths
- 1 1-inch piece peeled fresh ginger
- 2 large stalks celery
- Ice (optional)
- Working in this order process spinach, grapefruit, apples, ginger and celery through a juicer according to the manufacturer’s directions. (No juicer? See Blender Variation.)
- Fill 2 glasses with ice, if desired, and pour the juice into the glasses. Serve immediately.