Cooking time: 45 mins -1 hr
6 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1/4 cup or 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons minced garlic (about 6 cloves)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom (elaichi)
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin (jeera)
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (dalchini)
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (jayphal)
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
• Combine the yogurt, juice, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, cardamom, cumin, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large container. Add the chicken, mix thoroughly and let it marinate in the refrigerator overnight. You can also let it marinate for 4 to 5 hours before cooking it.
• When ready to cook, remove the chicken and reserve the marinade. Combine the reserved marinade and chicken broth.
• Heat olive oil in a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat.
• Sprinkle chicken with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add half of chicken to pan, cook for 1 ½ minutes on each side or until browned.
• Repeat procedure with the remaining chicken. Return chicken to pan, pour broth mixture over chicken. Bring to a boil.
• Cover the chicken, reduce the heat, and let it simmer for 12 minutes or until chicken is done.
• Place chicken on a serving platter.
• Sprinkle chicken evenly with parsley or coriander and lemon juice.
• Serve on a bed of brown rice.
Nutrition value per serving
Carbohydrate 5.7 gms
Protein 42.1 gms
Fat 6.2 gms
Saturated fat 1.4 gms
Fibre 0.5 gms