Soaking time: Overnight
Preparation Time: 5 mins
Fermenting time: 3 to 4 hours
Cooking Time: 21 mins
Serves- 5 servings (makes 15 vadas)
For The Oats and Moong Dal Vadas-
• 2 tbsp roasted and powdered oats
• ½ cup urad dal (split black lentils)
• salt to taste
• ¼ cup green moong dal (split green gram)
• ¼ tsp baking powder
• ½ tsp oil for greasing
To Be Mixed Together For the Salted Curds-
• 1 ¼ cup low-fat curd
• Salt to taste
• 2 ½ tsp cumin seeds powder
• 2 ½ tsp chilli powder
For the oats and moong dal vadas
1. Wash and soak the urad dal and moong dal overnight in enough water.
2. Next day, drain and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste using ¼ cup of water.
3. Transfer into a deep bowl, cover with a lid and keep aside to ferment for 3 to 4 hours.
4. Add the powdered oats, salt and baking powder and mix well.
5. Grease the moulds to make the vada’s, with ½ tsp of oil and pour approx. 1½ tbsp of the batter into each mould.
6. Cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes or till they turn golden brown in colour.
7. Turn each vada upside down using a fork and cook on the other side on a medium flame for another 2 to 3 more minutes or till they turn golden brown in colour.
8. Repeat steps 5 to 7 to make more vadas in 2 more batches.
9. Soak the vadas in enough water in a deep bowl for 20 minutes. Thereafter, squeeze out all the water from each vada by pressing them in between your palms. Set aside.
How to proceed-
1. Place 3 vadas on a serving plate and spread ¼ cup of salted curds over them.
2. Sprinkle ½ tsp of cumin seeds powder and ½ tsp of chilli powder over it.
3. Garnish the finely chopped coriander leaves.
4. Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 4 more servings.
5. Serve immediately.
Nutritional value- per serving
Energy- 120 kcals
Carbohydrates- 18.9 gms
Protein- 9.1 gms
Fat- 0.9 gm
Fibre- 3.3 gm
Calcium- 179.3 mg
– Low calories
– Heart healthy
– Healthy snack recipe
– Diabetic friendly
– Low cholesterol