Prep time- 35 mins
Cook time- 1 ½ hr
Serves- makes 8 serving
• ½ cup (150 gms) Black rice blend or long-grain brown rice
• 1 cup water
• 1 medium zucchini, shredded large
• 1 tablespoon walnut oil, or extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 medium red or white onion, finely chopped
• 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
• 1 tablespoon curry powder
• 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 450 gmsground minced chicken or 1 pound(450gms) 93%-lean ground beef
• 1 large egg, beaten
• 1/3 cup mango chutney, plus more for serving, if desired
1. Bring rice and water to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer at the lowest bubble until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, 30 to 50 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, squeeze any excess moisture from zucchini. Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add ginger and garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
3. Add the onion, celery and the zucchini; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes.
4. Stir in the curry powder; cook for a minute. Stir in Worcestershire sauce and salt and let the contents combine well.
5. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool for 15 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a rimmed baking sheet or broiler pan with cooking spray.
7. Spoon the cooked rice onto a clean cutting board and chop the grains into small bits.
8. Transfer to the bowl with the vegetables, add ground beef or chicken and egg and gently mix until just combined. Place the mixture on the prepared pan and shape into a loaf, about 10 inches by 5 inches. Spread chutney evenly over the top.
9. Bake for 1 hour to 1 ¼ hrs. Let it cool for 10 minutes before slicing.
10. Serve with some mango chutney on top and some stir fried veggies.
Nutritional value- per serving
Energy- 300 kcals
Carbohydrates- 18 gms
Protein- 30 gms
Fat- 12 gms( saturated fat- 3 gms, mono sat fat- 0.5 gm)
Sodium- 540 mg
Potassium- 510 mg
• Diabetes friendly
• Gluten free
• Healthy recipe
• Low calorie recipe