Serves : 4
Time: 25 mins
• 1 tablespoon canola oil or olive oil
• 1 small onion, chopped
• 1 tablespoon chili powder
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 green chilli
• ½ tsp mustard seeds
•500 gms can of black beans, rinsed
• 3 cups water
• 1/2 cup prepared salsa (optional)
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the cumin, mustard seeds, green chilli and let it crackle.
2. Add the onion and cook until it begins to soften, about 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Add chili powder and the beans, with water, salsa and salt.
4. Bring it to a boil; reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice.
6. Transfer half the soup to a blender and puree (use caution when pureeing hot liquids). Stir the puree back into the saucepan.
7. Serve garnished with black pepper and coriander.
Nutrition value (per serving)
Energy- 191 calories;
Fat- 4 g (0 g saturated fat)
Cholesterol- 0 mg
Carbohydrates- 31 gms
Protein- 9 gms
Fibre- 9 gms
Sodium- 408 mg
Potassium- 535 mg
-Ideal for diabetics.
-Low in calories
-Recipe is low in cholesterol and saturated fats
-Heart healthy recipe
-Is high in fibre and potassium